Complete and accurate case notes are important whenever you take action on a case or speak with a client.
The information below provides important items to document in case notes that are specific to the Aged, Blind, and Disabled (ABD) program.
- Case Info
- Record the address and relationship of the person who handles the client’s business. This is especially important when the client is a minor.
- Intake / Household tab
- Document if the client had medical services in any of the three months prior to the application date that need to be considered.
- Copy and paste the CID screen into the case notes when the client is a minor.
- Also, for individuals who receive VA Aid and Attendance, document the amount and whether it is being paid to a caregiver.
- Record calculations for dividing income between eligible spouses who are both receiving a state supplemental payment.
- Record any deduction such as $20 general income deduction and 1/3 deduction from child support
- Explain any use of ABD Earned Income Formulas
- Document any ineligible child allocations included in calculations
- Resource tab
- Resources are a factor of eligibility for the ABD program. Be sure to document the client’s resources and how they were verified.
- Record how any excess resources were spent down.
- Record 90-day good faith effort follow-ups if there is property that is up for sale.
- Record any resource estimate values which the client was required to provide.
- Document any insurance coverage which the client has. Include details such as policy number, start date, coverage type, and policy holder, etc.
- Explain how health insurance was verified.
- Document when any previous health insurance coverage was terminated.
- Record if a child’s parent or guardian wants SSI-DCP services for any child who receives SSI benefits from the Social Security Administration.
- If the cash benefit (state supplemental payment) closes, be sure to document the status of the medical benefit.
- Medical General
- Record the reason for any LOCEU decisions and when the next decision will be needed.
- Document the client’s categorical relationship.
- Fin. Assistance tab
- Record eligibility for Special Medical status determination.