Some things that hinder compassion are related to…
Lack of Experience:
- New employees sometimes don’t have the work experience it takes to be compassionate; and
- Other workers sometimes don’t have the life experience it takes to be compassionate.
Lack of Knowledge:
- Some workers don’t know how to act on their compassion.
Some simple ways we can address the work-related barriers to compassion are to…
Educate yourself about…
- Client challenges, needs, differences, etc.;
- DHS programs and services
- Community resources.
- Find a mentor;
- Shadow other more experienced workers or supervisors;
- Ask a coach; or
- Have someone observe your interactions (“Gemba”).
- Build confidence about policy and procedures;
- Practice honest, accommodating interpretation of policy.