LIHEAP / ECAP: Overview/Payments

The LIHEAP funding is contingent on the receipt of federal funds and authorized amounts vary from year-to-year. The allocated funding is estimated and reserved for winter heating, summer cooling, and ECAP on a yearly basis. Households may apply for and receive help with their primary source of energy during these three scheduled applications periods each year. Households experiencing a life-threatening energy crisis may request assistance at any time during the year. Refer to Quest article LIHEAP/ECAP: Life-Threatening Energy Crisis for additional information.

DHS Appendix C-7-A provides estimated benefit amounts for each program. Adjustments may be made to the estimated benefit during the fiscal year due to changes in available funding or anticipated need.

The household benefit is based upon the household’s size, income, and primary energy source. When eligible, a onetime LIHEAP payment is issued to the household’s primary energy source. The summer payment is issued to the cooling provider. The winter payment is issued to the heating provider. Household’s facing an energy crisis payment is issued to the provider that resolves the energy crisis, it can be the heating or cooling provider.

The LIHEAP payment can only be applied to main heating/cooling energy portion of the bill if it includes other utility services such as sewer, water, recycling, and trash. DHS authorized LIHEAP payments are processed weekly through automatic clearing house (ACH) banking transfer to the participating energy provider’s registered bank accounts by the Oklahoma State Treasury Office.

Eligible LIHEAP households whose utility providers do NOT participate in direct deposit will receive payment directly. For more information on LIHEAP direct payment, refer to Quest article LIHEAP/ECAP: LIHEAP Non-Participant Vendor-Direct Payment to the Client

When submitting an application, the household must provide the correct account name, account number, and energy supplier to ensure payments are made to the correct energy supplier.

The household may only receive one payment per LIHEAP program component.

Note: DHS also funds weatherization assistance through the Department of Commerce. To apply, contact the Department of Commerce at (405) 949-1495 or visit their website.

Was this article helpful?

Comments or Suggestions?

We want Quest to be your source for important information that you need to succeed at in your work but we need your help:

Was this article helpful? Was it missing something you needed to get the job done?

Tell us what you think, what you know about this article. What are we doing well, and what we could do better.

All fields are required.