The following are instructions on using Language Line for phone contacts and interviews.
For telephone interviews:
- Use phone’s conference feature to put the client on hold.
- Dial 1-866-874-3972 (Begin with this step for Face-To-Face interviews)
- Provide the AFS ID # (Obtain ID # from your supervisor). There is a number for County Office Staff and another number for Support Center Staff.
- Select the language you need:
- Press 1 for Spanish
- Press 2 for all other languages (State the name of the language needed. **Press 0 for assistance if you do not know the language)
**You will be connected to an interpreter now**
- Brief the Interpreter (Summarize what you wish to accomplish and provide any special instructions)
- Add client to the call (for telephone interviews).
- Once the interview or contact is completed, say “End of Call” to the interpreter.
When placing an outbound call to a LEP, begin at Step 2. If you need assistance placing a call to the LEP, Please inform the interpreter or agent at the beginning of the call.
When the LEP is face-to-face with you begin at Step 2. Once the interpreter joins the line, brief him/her and place the phone on “Speaker” mode or pass the handset back-and-forth.