The following are instructions and key ideas to keep in mind in writing a hearing summary.
- The summary needs to be in chronological order as it occurred.
- The summary should be easy to read, use appropriate writing techniques such as:
- The summary should be written with the audience (the client) in mind. Consider their knowledge of our programs, policies, screens, acronyms, etc.
- You can write the summary in a word document which allows for spelling and grammar check, then paste it into the 13MP002E (H-1-A) form.
- If you use a lot of dates use the numeric format (12-19-2020), otherwise the spelled format is preferred (December 19, 2020).
- The client and the Appeals unit must receive the completed hearing summary and supporting documents at least 5 business days in advanced of the scheduled hearing.
- If you use acronyms, such as ABAWD, the first time it is used the meaning needs to be defined. Abled Bodied Adult Without Dependents (ABAWD)
- If you reference information, considered verified upon receipt that is acquired through information sharing, you need to explain where the information came from. The Unemployment Insurance Benefits screen (UIB) is information that is shared from the Oklahoma Employment Security Commission (OESC).
- In writing the summary you can cite specific policy do NOT include the entire policy in the summary, the policy section its entirety should be attached as a separate document. Policy OAC 340:20-1-11(c) (1) states deductible expenses may include verified non-reimbursed medical expenses paid by person 60 years of age or older.
- In the summary, if you issued a Client Contact and Information Request form (ADM-92) requesting documentation and the client provided incomplete information you need to clearly state:
- What information was requested
- The deadline the information was due
- What documents the client provided including the date provided
- What information was not provided
On August 4, 2020 Mary Jones was issued an ADM-92 requesting verification of her earned income for the month of July, and verification of the child support income received for Cindy Jones, the deadline to return the verification was August 14, 2020. On August 13, 2020 Mary Jones provided the verification of child support. The verification of her earned income for the month of July was not provided.
- When attaching policy as a supporting document include the entire section as it is written do NOT copy and paste a single paragraph or sentence.
- The hearing summary and supporting documents can be emailed to the client and the Appeals unit if you have a confirmed valid email address for the client.
- When you have multiple documents to support the summary, you can label them as Attached 1, Attached 2, Attached 3, etc. and reference them in the summary.
Example: Per policy OAC 340:20-1-10 (c) (1) the income and resources of all household members is considered (Attached 1).