- When a worker determines that there has been an overpayment on a case, an overpayment memo must be emailed to the Benefits Integrity and Recovery Section (BIRS) at email@example.com.
- Include the following information in the memo as appropriate for each case:
- Case Name and case number
- Time frame of the overpayment
- Date case was corrected
- Discovery date – the discovery date is the date the agency first became aware of the situation that led to the overpayment claim
- Explanation of circumstances resulting in overpayment, with as much detail as possible
- Date of employment/new employment
- Date, type and amount of resources received
- Date and amounts of income received, including date of first check
Always check policy for rules regarding when notice should be allowed (10-10-10).
Maintain copies, in imaging, of all documents sent to BIRS and all documents returned to the county from BIRS.
- Supporting documentation should be included with the claim referral including:
- Copy of award letter or verification of start date for VA, SSI, workers compensation, etc.
- Copies of pay stubs, bank statements, trusts, rental lease, etc.
- Copies of statements such as separate household statements, employer statements, statements from individuals regarding client’s circumstances, etc.
- Other verifications or documents related to the overpayment
- In addition, specific to the TANF program:
- Complete form 08OP004E/ABCD-50