Overpayments: How to Submit a SNAP Overpayment

When a worker determines that there has been an overpayment on a case, an overpayment memo must be emailed to the Benefits Integrity and Recovery Section (BIRS) at overpayments@okdhs.org.

For a SNAP overpayment, please provide the following information, if applicable:

  • Client name and case number
  • Time frame of the overpayment
  • Date case was corrected
  • Discovery date – the discovery date is the date the agency first became aware of the situation that lead to the overpayment claim
  • Explanation of circumstances resulting in overpayment, with as much detail as possible
  • Date of employment/new employment
  • Date, type and amount of resource(s) received
  • Date and amounts of income received, including date of first check

Always check policy for rules regarding when notice should be allowed (10-10-10).

Maintain copies, in imaging, of all documents sent to BIRS and all documents returned to the county from BIRS.

Supporting documentation should be included with the claim referral including:

  • Copy of award letter or verification of start date for VA, SSI, workers compensation, etc.
  • Copies of pay stubs, bank statements, trusts, rental lease, etc.
  • Copies of statements such as separate household statements, employer statements, statements from individuals regarding client’s circumstances, etc.
  • Other verifications or documents related to the overpayment

In addition, specific to the SNAP program:

Comments or Suggestions?

We want Quest to be your source for important information that you need to succeed at in your work but we need your help:

Was this article helpful? Was it missing something you needed to get the job done?

Tell us what you think, what you know about this article. What are we doing well, and what we could do better.

All fields are required.

  • Hidden
  • Hidden
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.