In the following scenarios we will determine if the household meets an allowable need factor and qualifies for child care benefits.
- Joey and Rachel visited the DHS office to apply for child care benefits for their two school-age children, Angel and Caleb. Angel and Caleb attend a traditional school. Rachel is employed at the local library and Joey is self-employed as a contractor. They both earn more than minimum wage and work from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Joey and Rachel meet the need factor for child care benefits because they are both employed and meet the minimum wage rule. Coding for both school-age children will be Blended Traditional 23.
- Samantha and Derrick applied for child care services for their 2 year old, Billy. Samantha works part time in the evening from 6 pm to 9 pm Monday through Friday. Billy works full time Monday through Friday from 8 am to 5 pm.
- Billy is not eligible for child care services. Samantha and Derrick do not meet a need factor at the same time.
- Chandler requests child care benefits for his 2 year old son, Tate. He works full time on the overnight shift at a shipping company. Tate’s grandmother watches him at night until Chandler picks him up after he gets off work at 7 a.m. Tate needs child care during the day while Chandler sleeps.
- Chandler may be eligible for up to 8 hours of sleep time child care because his work hours fall between 11:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. and has an alternative caregiver for the child during the night hours.
- Betty and Ben apply for child care for their 2 year-old twins, Chuck and Jennifer. Betty and Ben both work the same schedule at Sunshine Breakfast, Monday through Saturday from 8 am to 2 pm. Ben cooks and makes $9.00 an hour. Betty waits tables. She earns tips that average with her pay to $10 an hour.
- Chuck and Jennifer are eligible for child care services. Betty and Ben meet the need factor of work. Chuck and Jennifer would be approved for services Monday through Saturday from 8 am to 2 pm plus travel time. Coding for each would be Full-Time 27.
- The child care center that Betty and Ben choose is not open on Saturday. Betty’s mother will volunteer to care for the children on Saturday.
- Approved care will now be Monday through Friday 8 am to 2 pm plus travel time. Coding for each would be Weekly 5.